30 January 2008

Wear Your Helmet!

Argh! In the wake of an excruciatingly frustrating conversation with a dear friend regarding bike helmets, I feel compelled to broadcast the following:

WEAR YOUR BIKE HELMETS! MAKE YOUR KIDS WEAR THEM!

Bike helmets are so inexpensive and accessible these days, and the benefits are so obvious, that I cannot comprehend any reasons not to wear one! Also, in the state of California, it is the law:

A person under 18 years of age shall not operate a bicycle, a nonmotorized scooter, or a skateboard, nor shall they wear in-line or roller skates, nor ride upon a bicycle, a nonmotorized scooter, or a skateboard as a passenger, upon a street, bikeway, as defined in Section 890.4 of the Streets and Highways Code, or any other public bicycle path or trail unless that person is wearing a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet that meets the standards of either the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) or the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), or standards subsequently established by those entities. This requirement also applies to a person who rides upon a bicycle while in a restraining seat that is attached to the bicycle or in a trailer towed by the bicycle.

further:

The parent or legal guardian having control or custody of an unemancipated minor whose conduct violates this section shall be jointly and severally liable with the minor for the amount of the fine imposed pursuant to this subdivision.

If you want to read more about this, go to:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21201.htm

Would you refuse to put your child in a car seat because it was inconvenient or unglamorous? I didn't think so! We ALL know someone who has been in some sort of bike or skateboarding accident. My husband has cracked more than one helmet and I am soooooooo grateful that his helmet cracked and not his noggin!

Whew! Thanks for staying true through my rant. Now do something about it -- strap helmets on those heads!

8 comments:

Williams Fam said...

If we had bikes we'd wear helmets.......we'll have to remember your sermon in the future.
P.S.......I'll try not to take offense that I am STILL not on your "Blogs I lurk" list!!! Hehe~

fünf said...

WORD UP! I should wear a helmet around the house I am so clumsy.

Unknown said...

Okay, so I am going to back you up COMPLETELY on this one. When I was at JLS (good times) I used to ride my bike to school. One day I remember riding on a wet part of the sidewalk and falling. The next thing I knew I was in the back of some construction truck with a man telling me I was alright and that my mom was on her way. Thank goodness for junior high school ID's. They called all the Covert's in Palo Alto (all two familys) and my mom rushed over. My helmet was completely in half. Who knows what would have happened if I had been a "cool kid" who rode with their helmet on their handle bars. Helmets are great. Thanks for the post Jen! Love ya!

Amberly said...

Hey! I'm so happy to hear from you. Every time I watch "The Best Week Ever" I think of you. I really miss San Diego and all our friends there. Lucy is so big! I think she was barely walking when we last saw you guys!
PS We've even found a good use for our helmets in the winter. Our kids wear them sledding.

angie said...

i love a good rant!

Isa said...

Hey YOU! I found you. How are you? We miss you guys around these parts...We love having your sis in the ward though:)

Natalee Maynes said...

hmm...I wonder who that friend was that made you excruciatingly frustrated....probably the same friend who was the worst visiting teacher you ever had....or maybe the friend whose baby now has a complex because when you see her you ask where the cute little boy baby is...hmmm. I'm glad this lame-O friend remains nameless. ;)

Natalee Maynes said...

Having said that Jen, I agree with you...Vivi will never not wear a helmet. However, I'm still adjusting from my childhood of only geeks wearing helmets where even the adults made fun of the helmet-wearers. Give me some time.