15 May 2008

Driving Around

The last few days I been thinking about the reality of moving here and what that means for me and my family. I get a bit ponderous, then eventually distracted by the sheer volume of things I have to do during the day. The other night, after a day of cleaning and organizing and general parenting, the house felt warm and a bit lonely, so I opened the sliding doors and I sat down and listened to the creek and felt the cool air come in. Today, driving to a friend's house, I took a different route and when I came out onto the highway I gasped out loud. It is beautiful here. Just stunning.
And there's something else, too. I can't define it. It's this feeling that I have, sitting, listening to the creek. Something in my stomach that flutters when I see the trees against the road; when I glimpse the Cascades behind them. Driving over Mercer Island and seeing Seattle's skyline against the Olympic backdrop. Even when it's rainy, coming home to our little valley, watching the mist swirl up against the mountains. I would say that it takes my breath away, but really it doesn't. It gives me new breath, new life, every time I look outside.
Further definition eludes me right now, so I leave with an invitation: Come sit with me and hear the creek. We'll have some tea and enjoy the weather, rain or shine, because both are beautiful here. Bring your own teacups, though, because I'm still unpacking mine.

6 comments:

Gina said...

Ahhh, new breath. What a lovely piece of rumination this is.

jane maynard said...

I'm so happy you moved to such a beautiful place, jen. it's going to be a great place for you guys!!!

The Mostess said...

Sounds great....ideal, even. Except for the part where you are also there. Work on that detail and I'm there!

angie said...

you seem so optimistic! i hope that you really are feeling the bright sunny way you are writing! i have loved seattle every time i've been there - it is on my short live of good places to be!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful post! I'm so glad that you are happy there. Thanks for chatting tonight. Love and miss you!

Anne said...

I had no idea you were so poetic! This makes me miss you even more. I can't wait to see you this June. SYTYCD started this week and it made me sad to think that I wont be sitting in gymnastics with you chatting about all the details. I love and miss you and I'm happy to hear you are happy my dear.