03 May 2009

April Tragedies and Triumphs

First there were freshly planted currants:


Then the beast dug them up. The beast barely avoided becoming dinner.

We replanted the currants and built beautiful garden boxes (yeah, Mathias!):

Then the dreaded beast dug up the garden boxes. I preheated the oven in anticipation of doggie dinner. But the beast somehow avoided death again. The garden was replanted and is now a beast-free zone.

And then there was the knitting. First there was the yarn:

Which then became hundreds of knitted rows. Which then, between sobs, I unraveled because the purls were wrong. Now the purls are right and the yarn is this:

Which, for all you non-observant stinkers out there, is a snake. And I can't believe I finished the knitting! Now for the sewing and stuffing.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

We've been having doggy battles, too, but they pretty much consist of the dog peeing in our bed, pooping under our computer desk and chewing all of Penelope's pacifiers. We like to refer to her as the dumb malshitz (moltise shitzu).

I can't wait to see the finished snake!! The colors are awesome.

denebug said...

Your snake looks great. Good on you for using decent yarn instead of cheap acrylic crap (my fingers itch just thinking about it).

We may have to have Mattias come build raised beds for us. Happy gardening!

Gina said...

Very cute snake! I'm impressed! The more I hear you dog peoples' stories, the more sure I feel I don't want to be one of you.

Lys said...

Love the snake. Love that you're a knitter even more. How are you guys? Aren't you due for a little bit of California sun? Let me know when you're coming down.

The Mostess said...

Dobbie thinks your dog rules.

ludwigaslinen said...

So, sooo funny! Love that snake!! We always have a little more room for a homeless pet snake..not dogs, though....

angie said...

i'm excited to see pictures of the finished snake! pretty cute so far!

Eva's Mom said...

I have the recipe for that snake.

P.S. My "word verification" for this comment is corpses. What does that mean???? :)